ChromaPave Seal Coat Liquid, Seal Coat Dry, and HotMix Product Guidelines
PRODUCT MIXING GUIDELINES:
The mixing information is intended to be used only as a guide. Due to the variety of asphalt emulsion sealcoat mix designs in different areas of the country, it is not possible to specify an exact mixing formula for optimum use of CHROMAPAVE Seal Coat Colorants. Preparation of a small trial amount with the actual materials to be used is strongly recommended.
CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT LIQUID COLORANT
- Mix the CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT LIQUID COLORANT thoroughly prior to use. Use an appropriate mixing tool dictated by the size of the container.
- The base sealcoat should not contain any colorant such as carbon black.
- The approximate ratio of CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT LIQUID COLORANT to asphalt emulsion sealcoat by volume for most colors is 1 gallon (3.8 L) of liquid color per 4-5 gallons (15.1-18.9 L) of asphalt emulsion sealcoat.
- The approximate mix ratio for colors Cobblestone and Kashmir Blue is 1 gallon (3.8 L) of liquid color per 3-4 gallons (11.4-15.1 L) of asphalt emulsion sealcoat.
- If formulating by weight, the liquid colorant should be 20-25% of the total sealcoat.
- Color hue of the mixture may be adjusted by adding slightly more or less liquid color.
- The viscosity of the mixture may be decreased by making a small addition of water; 0-5% of the total weight, or 0-7% of the total volume, of colored sealer.
- Water amounts should not be exceeded and should remain consistent for even color.
- Total colored Seal Coat mix should yield approximately 22.5-27.5 gallons (85-104 L) when one CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT LIQUID COLORANT 5-gallon (18.9-L) container is used.
CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT DRY COLORANT (without carbon black)
- Blend CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT DRY COLORANT with uncut asphalt emulsion seal coating material in a conventional seal coating tank with agitator. One 50-lb. (22.7-kg.) bag of CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT DRY COLORANT mixes with approximately 38 gallons (144 L) of seal coat or approximately 12% of seal weight depending upon desired color brightness. Add 50% of the water requirement [this is the equivalent of 5 gallons (19 L) of water to 38 gallons (144 L) of seal coat] then add the CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT DRY COLORANT material slowly with the agitator operating. Mix for 10 to 20 minutes to blend thoroughly.
- Add an additional amount of potable water necessary to achieve the viscosity required for application. This can be up to another 5 gallons (19 L) per 38 gallons (144 L) of original seal coat. To obtain the proper consistency the approximate total water is 25% for CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT DRY COLORANT by volume of the amount of seal coating material you started with. These water amounts should not be exceeded and should remain consistent for even color.
- Total Seal Coat mix should yield approximately 52 gallons (197 L) when one CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT DRY COLORANT 50-lb. (22.7-kg.) bag is used.
CHROMAPAVE ASPHALT COLORANT for HOT MIX APPLICATIONS
If using CHROMAPAVE ASPHALT COLORANT for hot mix applications, product should be mixed at the asphalt plant. CHROMAPAVE ASPHALT COLORANT should be added to the hot mix during the mixing process at the mill. CHROMAPAVE ASPHALT COLORANT should be added after the heated aggregate (must meet cleanliness and/or sand equivalency numbers) is already in the mill, but prior to the addition of oil. The mixing time recommended should be 60 seconds, or at least twice the standard time for a hot mix of product made without CHROMAPAVE ASPHALT COLORANT.
IMPORTANT: Due to the variety of asphalt mix designs in different areas of the country it is not possible to specify an exact mixing formula for optimum use of CHROMAPAVE ASPHALT COLORANT. Trial batches are recommended. SOLUTION DISPERSIONS will advise a mixing formula upon correspondence from the hot mix plant.
LIMITATIONS / PRECAUTIONS:
- The CHROMAPAVE Seal Coat Colorants should be applied using standard installation practices. The mixed colored sealer should be installed over existing base. It is recommended that a tack coat be applied over older asphalt prior to installation to promote greater bonding. Pavement surface temperatures should be 50 °F (10 °C) and greater before application of the final mixed product is initiated.
- The final mixed colored sealer should not be applied to wet or damp pavement surfaces.
- Any asphalt emulsion or liquid colorant may be damaged by freezing and should be protected at all times when the temperature drops below 40 °F (4.4 °C) .
- Do not apply during rainy or damp weather, or when rain is anticipated within eight hours after application is completed.
- Pavement surface temperatures should be 50 °F (10 °C) to 90 °F (32.2 °C) for application. Surface temperatures exceeding 90 °F (32.2 °C) will create product streaking. At least three hours of daylight should remain after completing the application and evening temperatures should not get below 40 °F (4.4 °C).
- Other: Keep out of reach of children. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Do not take internally. Store, handle and dispose per MSDS requirements.
PRODUCT SHELF LIFE AND STORAGE:
- CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT LIQUID COLORANT is a liquid dispersion and should not be allowed to freeze.
- CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT DRY COLORANT and CHROMAPAVE ASPHALT COLORANT should be stored in a dry place.
- After any CHROMAPAVE SEAL COAT COLORANT is mixed with asphalt emulsion seal coat it should be stored and handled like any standard asphalt seal coat product. Horizontal storage tanks equipped with centrally suspended horizontal agitators should be used. Positive displacement gear pumps capable of handling abrasive materials are recommended. Progressive cavity, diaphragm, and piston pumps may also be used. Since any asphalt emulsion may be damaged by freezing, it should be protected at all times when the temperature drops below 40 °F (4.4 °C).
CHROMAPAVE Seal Coat Liquid Colorants, Seal Coat Dry Colorants and Asphalt Colorants are warranted to be of uniform quality within manufacturing tolerances. Since control is not exercised over their use, no warranty, expressed or implied, is made to the effects of such use. Seller’s and manufacturer’s obligation under this warranty shall be limited to refunding the purchase price of the portion of the material purchased from seller and proven to be defective. These products are sold to perform one particular purpose - the purpose of coloring asphalt sealer under reasonable conditions and using reasonably standard methods per industry norms. No other warranty, for any other use or application, or for the performance of the product under any other conditions, is made or intended. ANY WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR ANY OTHER PARTICULAR PURPOSE IS HEREBY DISCLAIMED.